Friday 6 September 2013

FAVORITES: 5 YouTube Channels for September '13

Today, I will be highlighting those who teach me things via Youtube each day. Seriously, I watch multiple videos daily, and it's becoming quite the addiction. This post will basically be a rant about all of the people whose videos I most enjoy. Fangirl sesh round two. 

(I'll link my favorite videos from each)

Buckle your seat belts.


stylelikeu


stylelikeu is a channel that basically does a bunch of interviews and roundtable discussions in hopes of redefining fashion as well as personal style. What I LOVE about this channel is the pure passion that is put into what these people do, and how they present themselves. The videos are so aesthetically pleasing and wholesome, which I think is pretty amazing to see in combination. I feel like I'm actually learning something valuable when watching these videos, as oppose to feeling like I just slipped out of a 8 minute long daze. It's great. Not to mention the guests they feature.. oh man. Phenomenal. 

LaMadelynn


LaMadelynn is the personal style channel of Madelynn, a gentle yet stylish gal who seriously embodies what it is to be precious. I stumbled across her channel about 2 months ago, and after 20 seconds of the first video, I was hooked! What started as watching a few videos, quickly escalated into spending hours upon hours watching tutorials on how to add heart shaped elbow patches onto your favorite cardigan, and weekend outfit montages. The simplicity of her style is really what makes her special. She doesn't need extravagant, designer items to make her stand out, and her natural beauty is that of Alexa Chung. I don't know. I just love her videos so much!

Look TV (more specifically Victoria Floethe)



Look TV, for me, is really hit or miss. They either hit it right on the nose, or completely miss. Same goes for Victoria's contributions to the channel. I don't know if it's her personal choices that bring things like "Victoria's Seven Secrets" to life, or if it's the producers behind the channel, but that is a HUGE miss in my opinion. That whole segment is the definition of wrong to me. The advice she gives comes off as superficial and I feel is part of an awful set of ideas that give young girls the notion that there's a specific space that you need to fill as a girl in the love world; be it having the guy pay, going about breaking up with someone in a certain "girly" way, as well as things you can't say while on a date. (WHICH, actually angered me deeply, on account of being a human and having things you want to say as they come to you/ don't feel it's necessary to hold in for the sake of a completely fabricated image of perfection.)

BUT, aside from that, I find her travel videos/shoe obsession videos incredibly well thought out, well spoken, and beautifully filmed. There's something about her as a person that intrigues me. Could it be the fact that she owns that pretty little jewel toned Stella McCartney clutch I need ever so much? Could it be that she travels the world more than once a year? I don't really know. But when she nails it, she really nails it.

                                                                                     ragsonragstv


ragsonragstv is a duo from Vancouver (EEEEEE!) who gave black clothing a new purpose in my mind. They can seriously compose all-black-everything outfits, using texture as a tool, and make them look killer. There's a small element of comedy in each of their videos, which I've come to appreciate lately. I know Jenn Im gave them a little shoutout, which was nice, because these girls need the recognition. They could really be big I think. Props to them being in Canada and actually making it kinda big (so far)!! They're just super cool human beings. 

Lauren Rose (aka justacurbsideprophet)

Although last, not at all least by any means, we have Lauren Rose of justacurbsideprophet. I think she repurposed the word 'rolemodel' to me. She really is someone to look up to in many aspects of teenage life. Something to really appreciate about what she does is that it's all organic, no bs. If she's in a slump, she'll let you know. YouTube doesn't dictate her thoughts, and neither do hateful people because her fan base is honestly the most supportive I've seen, and I totally understand why. She takes this common misconception of being a beauty guru, where the youtuber is the star and everyone else is just a peasant living vicariously through the Bobby Brown eyeshadows the guru got for christmas, and rips it to shreds. Her channel is an environment where we are all equal and able to share thoughts and ideas, and I respect her so much for that. Along with having a great atmosphere, her channel is home to some of the coolest thrift hauls/deep chit chats on all of YouTube. She takes the seemingly one dimensional world of making discussion videos, and opens your eyes to things you'd have never thought about in a kind and respectful way. She has a blog too, which I'll link down below. But yeah, she's definitely always been one of my top top favorites. 

You should all definitely check some of these channels out. I know they won't disappoint!
More importantly, be kind 

No comments: